From the beginning, Founder and Proprietor Judy Jordan built and expanded J Vineyards & Winery with green practices in mind.
J is dedicated to sustainable winemaking that encompasses a long-term sensitivity to the needs of the ecosystem.
J supports farming practices that are environmentally sensitive, economically viable and socially responsible by minimal
use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers in our vineyards.
- Cover crops are planted to control erosion, choke back unwanted weeds, control the vigor of the vine, and enrich soils with
nitrogen and other important nutrients.
- Significant changes were made using the most efficient and reliable system with a downsized, more efficient refrigeration unit
and computerized controls that stage variable-speed compressors to adjust operations according to actual loads.
- For optimum results, J's facilities use additional insulation beyond code requirements whenever possible, layering three inches
of foam between concrete walls.
- Lighting has been retrofitted in processing areas, replacing all 70 metal halide and 35 high pressure sodium high-intensity
discharge (HID) fixtures with high output T8 fluorescent lamps and electronic ballasts mounted about 20 feet from the floor.
- Offices and administrative spaces enjoy large glass windows that minimize the need for artificial light.
- When required, offices are equipped with T8 fluorescent indirect fixtures and fluorescent recessed fixtures.
- Motion sensors shut off lights when spaces are unoccupied. Timers shut down outdoor lighting in the parking lot by 9 p.m.
- Amorim & Irmaos, the world's largest producer of natural cork wine closures, has collaborated with wineries, retailers, restaurants and environmental organizations on the US West Coast to sponsor a cork recycling program called ReCork America.
- The J Visitor Center staff collect wine corks for ReCork America and recycles them at one of the participating retailers in our area. This 100% biodegradable and natural product is then converted into flooring, building insulation, automotive gaskets, soil conditioner and sports equipment.
BARREL WASHING AND WATER STERILIZATION
- Chlorine use has been eliminated to disinfect wash water, since chlorine is capable leaching into wine barrels.
- Ultraviolet light and ozone are used to sterilize water, rather than chlorine.